Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Think Aloud

The Think Aloud can be useful any time that students have to read or think through
content material that is difficult for them.

Say to learners: “I’m thinking about something, and I want you to tell me
what I’m thinking about. Who can do this? (Pause.) No one can tell me? Well, what would
it take for you to be able to tell what I am thinking? You’d like me to write it? …to tell
you? OK then, I will tell you what I am thinking — listen closely.” The teacher then thinks
aloud through the solution of one of the student’s word problems for the day.

Activities:

1. Students turn to the assigned problems for the day.

2. Teacher thinks aloud through 2 or 3 examples, pointing out to the students how
the Think Aloud reveals how to attack and solve the problem.

3. Students solve each sample problem after the teacher does the Think Alouds.

4. Next the children try Thinking Aloud with a partner on several problems. The
teacher circulates and listens to the interaction, offering suggestions and modeling
for those who are having difficulty.

5. Finally, students work on the assigned problems using Think Aloud "silently" as they work.

Closure: Ask the students to share what Think Aloud has done for them and to generate
other content areas where they might use it.


No comments:

Post a Comment